Gender Affirmative Therapy: Transition with Lucas
Lucas Novak, a transgender man, is looking for support as he navigates the medical and legal systems to make transitions that will allow him to be his authentic self. Learners will complete a therapy session with Lucas focusing on navigating issues that may present around his gender transition. During the session, learners will practice identifying Lucas’ goals, understanding his resources (e.g., financial, support systems), and discussing a plan to help him achieve his goals. Additionally, learners will have the opportunity to practice affirming Lucas’ authority in his transition, while being sensitive to the power they have as a potential “gatekeeper” to his future physical transition.
Understanding and addressing the unique needs of individuals within diverse populations is fundamental for mental health providers. Given that not all individuals undergo a medical transition, and each person's social and physical transition is distinct, it's essential to adapt and respond to each person's journey appropriately. Regrettably, a significant number of transgender and nonbinary individuals share unfavorable experiences in therapy due to a lack of knowledge among providers.
To tackle these concerns, we designed this training with a diverse development team (i.e., Key Personnel, Expert Panels, Actors, Script Engineers, Focus Groups, and Community Partners), ensuring representation from individuals with diverse minorities identities, including transgender and nonbinary individuals and people of color. Our training is designed to empower providers, enhance their skills, and boost confidence in delivering gender-affirming culturally competent care. This ultimately fosters safe and trusting environments, enabling gender minorities to feel at ease and validated when sharing their experiences.
Social Work & Students
5 - 8 minimum
30 - 45
- Creating Opportunities to Explore a Client’s Transition
- Identifying a Client’s Individual Needs in Transitioning
- Creating a Safe and Trusting Environment
- Validating a Client’s Identity and Experiences
Included in Training:
- A Training Guide with information on gender affirming care and working with clients in a respectful manner that positions them to achieve their best outcomes.
- A Simulated Conversation with a varied character to prepare learners for clients with different needs and goals regarding their transition.
- Comprehensive Feedback during and after each play to help guide skill development.
This training was developed in collaboration with Towson University and with funding from The National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD) (Grant Number: #R44MD014112).This training can be purchased as a part of the Gender Affirmative Therapy Training Suite. Please Contact Us for more information on pricing.